Thursday, August 19, 2010

Carrotwood Tree



The carrotwood tree in my backyard has created a feeding frenzy with the local birds. The tree has produced an incredible amount of seeds and the birds are here for a free meal.

The seeds are actually quite pretty in the tree. The seed pod splits to reveal a black seed which is covered by an orange layer. Once the seeds fall from the pod, what remains is an interesting woody "flower." I think it would be stunning in some craft project using found objects from nature.

5 comments:

Barry said...

Thanks for posting these carrotwood pictures - Iknew they bloomed, but I'm intriguiged by the "spent flower", too. You should try putting them together - maybe string into a "lei"? I can't quite guage their size, though.

earlysnowdrop said...

They are about the size of a quarter.

Anonymous said...

Is this fruit edible? We have the tree in the front of our yard.

earlysnowdrop said...

I am not sure if it would be edible. There really isn't much that you could eat, though. Mostly woody outside and the inside is mostly seed. I think I need to research this when I have a little more time. :)

Unknown said...

Is there a way to prevent to seeds from blooming? Can you spray as we do for olive trees so that there are no fruit?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...