Thursday, November 04, 2010

Beets--Harvest and Roast

One of the great perks of the home garden is the harvest and cook advantage.  While gardening around noon on Wednesday, I saw several of my beets were large enough to harvest.  I plucked them from the ground, tore off the leaves and tossed into the composter*.  Next I washed them at the kitchen sink, cut off the roots, and placed on a piece of aluminum foil.  Drizzle with a little olive oil and into the toaster oven for 25 -30 minutes until they were tender when pierced with a fork.   Notice I didn't peel the beet.  The peeling is done post-roast.  With paper towel in hand, a slight rub and the skin falls into the paper towel.  Slice, salt, pepper...Lunch!

*someday I will try cooking the leaves.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...