Sunday, October 24, 2010

"Green" Lettuce from the Garden

Sunny day in California and so I made my way to the garden early this morning.  I picked a small bowl of lettuces.  I always do a triple wash for my lettuces.  I have a large salad spinner in which I place the lettuce.  I fill the container up with water and gently aggitate the water to remove any dirt or particles from the lettuce.  I do this two times.  The third is a hand wash inspection of each leaf.  It takes a bit of time, but I would not be happy finding a slug on my lettuce during my meal.

The "green" part of this process is that I take each container of dirty water to the garden to water something.  Usually, I like to water the two gardenia bushes which sit beside my entry door.  Because they are under cover, they have not benefited from the rains we had last week.  During the rains, I turn off my sprinklers so they were ready for a little water.

2 comments:

TheGardenCloche said...

Your lettuce looks great. Super fresh. What kind of lettuce is that? I'm growing lettuce now, but I'm a little concerned because they seem very fragile and soft, not crisp.

Jeff
TheGardenCloche.com | Protecting Plants From Frost

earlysnowdrop said...

Romaine, Boston Bibb, red leaf lettuce!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...