Sunday, January 07, 2007

How to Grow Your Own Peanut Butter Blossoms


During the holidays, I didn't seem to have time to bake. I also know that past holiday baking extravaganzas have lead to what is known as "the Cookie Diet". I do not recommend it for weight loss but rather a weight gain diet.
However, after taking Thomas to the airport to return to college today, I noticed a candy container with Hershey's Kisses and in the pantry a full jar of Jif Peanut Butter. Time for some Peanut Butter Blossoms. I pulled my 1975 edition of Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book from the shelf and started mixing and blending. While the recipe I followed was for standard peanut butter cookies, I knew I could add the kiss on top after baking with no problem.
The cookies are delicious. Unfortunately, in a desire to get the whole batch baked at once, I may have overcrowded the tray. The cookies spread a little more than I anticipated and ended up touching each other. They still taste yummy.
Recipe
Peanut Butter Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup sifted all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Thoroughly cream butter, peanut butter, sugars, egg and vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients; blend into creamed mixture. Shape in 1-inch balls; roll in granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart (!) on ungreased cookie sheet (Line with parchment paper). Crisscross with fork tines. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. ***Cool slightly and remove from pan. Makes 4 dozen.

***Upon removing from oven, immediately place and unwrapped Hershey's Kiss firmly on the hot cookie.

This recipe was from a time when baking included presifting flour before measuring and postsifting to mix the dry ingredients evenly through the flour. I know we are all in a big hurry these days but including these steps seems to assure a more consistent end product.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, there really IS a Cookie Diet but yours probably taste better...

Dr. Sanford Siegal's Cookie Diet™ Available Soon From Thousands of Drug Stores and Doctors Throughout the United States

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/01/prweb496332.htm

earlysnowdrop said...

Ha! I had a great idea and didn't even know if. Yes, my cookies are the real thing: real butter, real sugar, real calories.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...