Sunday, July 03, 2011

Organizing...A Gardener's Garage

A place for everything and everything in its place.
This is a project I have been meaning to get to for a long time.

Until a few days ago, rakes and shovels were stored in corners of the garage.  Keep in mind, we have lived in this house for twelve years this coming August, but I never had the time/strong enough desire to tackle the job of installing hooks to hang the tools.

While the building portion was not overly time consuming, the real time was spent putting everything in a place.  So hammers which were not in the tool box were rounded up and put away.  Boxes for shipping stacked by the door with the intention of walking over to the closet where we store boxes, were put away. Roller blades, boogie boards stacked next to the car, push brooms sitting by the back door got rounded up and put away.  After all this was completed, the floor was swept.   So this job was started in daylight and finished in the twilight hours.

I think everyone knows the old handyman adage, measure twice, cut once.  This applies to all projects whether it is a sewing project or a building project.  And it is not just about measuring.  Really, it speaks to paying attention to what you are doing.  And, except for installing one set of the hooks upside down (yikes), the project went smoothly.

And ladies, the attention isn't just while you are constructing.  I have had two friends while using ladders seriously hurt themselves--one a torn ACL; the other a broken bone in her foot.  Both thought they were on the last ladder step and were actually on the second to last step.  So whenever I use a ladder, I focus on my descension very carefully. 

I will be back to the home center store for a few more hooks.  Right now, the boogie boards are "put away", but I would like to get them out of the way by installing some hooks they can hang from in the upper part of the garage.

1 comment:

HolleyGarden said...

It looks fabulous! And great advice about the ladders - I count my steps up and count them back down.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...