Friday, April 22, 2011

Tomato Plant--Leverage your Garden Dollars

I purchased a 1-gallon tomato plant yesterday to fill in the area where my snap peas were. 

When planting tomato plants, you can go deep in the hole to give the plant extra roots as tomato plants will send roots out of the stalk if covered in soil.  When you do this, you want to remove any leaves from the area which will be in the dirt and even the ones in the near vicinity of the top of the soil.
There are often strong, viable leafs which are excellent candidate for creating another tomato plant.  I brought one of these leaves in the house and placed it in a vase filled with water.  Once the roots grow, I will plant it in the gallon container with good potting soil and water until it gets established.  Then its into the garden and I have a great plant at no additional cost.   :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh, never thought to buy plants like this.

Carey Brown Strombotne said...

Boy, you learn something new every day! Now if only those tomatoes I started from seed would grow, I could try it out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...