Friday, June 23, 2006

Pollinating Pumpkins and Zucchini


I must be a bit of a type A control freak. Because my garden is small, I want every square inch of it producing all summer long. When a female flower opens on my squash, zucchini or pumpkin plants, I find a male flower in bloom, pluck it, peel off the flower and begin my job as a pollinator. I dust the female flower with the pollen of the male flower and hope for the best. I could wait and hope some passing bee does the job for me but if not, I see the missed opportunity of a maturing vegetable. I don't know for sure if my intervention is the cause of the resulting pollination, but my plants do bear a nice amount of vegetables.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog is bursting with color! Thank you for sharing. And funny, I made a trip out to Northern California from Ohio two years ago. Your photos make me miss the area terribly.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...