Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Onions and Chives



Chive on the verge of blossoming
Onion flower stalk
Chive
Weather this winter has been unusual with fluctuations of hot and cold temperatures.  This is possibly the reason some of my onions have sent up a flower stalk.  Another reason could be that the onions were planted too late in the season.  Once the onion has bolted (blossomed), it will not store well.

I'm hoping the remainder of the onions will not bolt.  I have read the procedure for curing onions and I am looking forward to it.  If I am lucky enough to get the remainder of my onions to reach maturity, I will post photos of the process.

I still appreciate the unique appearance of the onions as they are on the verge of flowering.  They have an alien appearance.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...